Kia India Car and SUV Exports Surpass 2.5 Lakh Units

Kia India has achieved a significant milestone, exporting over 2.5 lakh locally manufactured vehicles since commencing operations in August 2019. According to data from the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), by the end of April 2024, Kia India had shipped a total of 252,830 units to international markets. The Korean brand has introduced five models in the Indian market: the Seltos midsize SUV, the Sonet compact SUV, the Carnival MPV (now discontinued), the Carens MPV, and the all-electric EV6 SUV. Except for the imported EV6, all these models have been exported.

Export Performance in FY2024

In FY2024, Kia India exported 52,105 units, marking a 39 percent year-on-year decline. Despite this drop, exports still account for 21 percent of Kia India’s total production of 1.21 million units (12,12,111 units) from its Anantapur facility, which has an annual capacity of 350,000 units.

Historical Export Performance

Kia India’s best fiscal year for exports was FY2023, with 85,756 units shipped, reflecting a 69 percent increase from FY2022’s 50,864 units. This performance made Kia India the third-largest passenger vehicle exporter from India in FY2023, trailing only Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai Motor India. During that fiscal year, Kia’s exports constituted 13 percent of the 662,891 passenger vehicles exported from India. However, FY2024 saw a 39 percent decline in exports, totaling 52,105 units.

Production and Export Breakdown

Since its market entry in August 2019, Kia India has produced 1.21 million units, with exports comprising 21 percent (252,830 units) and domestic sales accounting for the remaining 79 percent. The Seltos midsize SUV, Kia India’s inaugural and best-selling model, leads the export figures with 147,615 units, accounting for 58 percent of total exports. The Sonet compact SUV follows with 87,779 units, making up 35 percent of exports. The Carens MPV has exported 17,295 units in 27 months, holding a 7 percent share, while the Carnival MPV saw 141 units exported.

Strategic Importance of India in Kia’s Global Network

India, currently the world’s fastest-growing economy, is a strategically crucial market for Kia. The Anantapur plant, established just over four years ago, has become a vital export hub in Kia’s global network. The strong demand for utility vehicles and MPVs ensures that Kia’s made-in-India products are well-received in numerous countries.

Kia India’s journey from its inception to becoming a significant player in the global automotive market highlights the importance of the Indian market in Kia’s global operations and its commitment to producing high-quality vehicles for both domestic and international customers.

Read More:

Scroll to Top