In recent years, VIP number plates have been a popular prestige symbol in India, particularly among SUV drivers in Northern India. Any legal resident of India is eligible to apply for one of these special license plates, and reservations can be made for a fee. Here are the necessary measures to acquire a VIP number plate in India.
What is a fancy number plate/VIP number plate?
VIP number plates, also known as fancy number plates, have gained popularity in India as a status symbol, particularly among SUV drivers in Northern India. These unique number plates can be purchased through a bidding process and offer owners a distinctive identity on the road.
Rules for VIP number plate
According to the rules for number plates in India, both new and old vehicles are required to have High Security Registration Plates (HSRP) to ensure standardization of registration plates across the country. The Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989 state that starting from April 1, 2019, all new vehicles must be equipped with HSRPs.
To bid for VIP number plates in India, you can follow these steps:
Step 1: Registration
The process begins with registering on the official Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) website. To register, you will need to sign up and provide the required details. After successful registration, you will receive a unique acknowledgment number via SMS. Additionally, a registration fee, which varies from state to state, needs to be paid to complete the registration process.
Step 2: Bidding
Once the registration is complete, the bidding process begins. Bidding typically lasts for three days and takes place between 12 pm and 5 pm. In some cases, the bidding duration may be extended by a maximum of 30 minutes. To participate in the bidding, you need to pay the minimum reserve price for your preferred number in the form of a Demand Draft (DD) issued by any nationalized bank.
Step 3: Allotment Paper
If you successfully place the highest bid for the fancy number plate of your choice, an allotment paper will be sent to you. You will receive a notification via SMS regarding the allotment. The final step involves sending the confirmation/allotment paper to your vehicle dealer, who will then register your vehicle with the new fancy number.
The cost of VIP number plates in India varies based on different categories. Here is a category-wise price list:
1. Category 1: This category includes number plates with 0001, and their price is around Rs 5 lakh.
2. Category 2: Number plates in this category range from 0002 to 0009. Prices for these plates start from approximately Rs 3 lakh.
3. Category 3: Numbers between 0010 to 0099, along with specific numbers like 0786, 1000, 1111, 7777, and 9999, fall under this category. The price for Category 3 plates is around Rs 2 lakh.
4. Category 4: This category includes number plates with combinations such as 0100, 0111, 0200, 0222, and so on, up to 1313. All these number plates start from approximately Rs 1 lakh.
5. Category 5: Numbers falling under the classifications No. 01 to 04 are included in this category. Bidding for Category 5 number plates starts from around Rs 20,000.
It’s important to note that these prices are subject to change and may vary depending on the state or region. Additionally, specific rules and regulations may differ slightly across different states in India.