Mahindra is getting ready to release the 2WD Thar soon, as it has already reached dealerships. Before that, details about the Thar, which has rear-wheel drive, have been leaked.
The 2WD Thar will be available with the same 152PS/320Nm, 2-liter turbo-petrol engine as before, but there is also a smaller diesel engine doing the work. The 130PS, 2.2-liter diesel will be replaced by a revised version of Mahindra’s 118PS/300Nm, 1.5-liter, four-cylinder diesel engine. On paper, the smaller diesel engine has 12 fewer horsepower than the 2.2-liter engine, but the AT version of the larger engine has 20Nm more torque. Both six-speed manual and automatic transmissions will be available for the 2WD.
- 2WD Thar will get a 1.5-liter diesel engine with 118 PS; the 2-liter turbo-petrol with 152 PS will stay the same.
- to keep the same six-speed manual and automatic transmissions as before.
- Multiple models with both hardtop and convertible soft-top roof options are expected.
- 2WD is expected to start at around Rs 11 lakh.
Without four-wheel drive, the Thar here will lose its low-range gearbox. The off-roader now only comes with MLD (mechanical rear locking differential) as an option for its top-of-the-line LX diesel trim, which is expected to also have 2WD as an optional extra.
Mahindra is likely to offer the rear-wheel-drive Thar in AX (O) and LX versions, with hardtop and convertible softtop roof options. Changes to design or features are unlikely.
With the smaller diesel engine, the Thar is now eligible for tax breaks for vehicles under four metres long, which could make it much more affordable. We expect the 2WD Thar to start at a price of around Rs 10 lakh, and the top-of-the-line model could be priced close to the 4WD’s entry-level AX (O), which costs around Rs 14 lakh.
With 2WD and five-door versions, the Thar will appeal to a wide range of people with different budgets and for those who don’t need the four-wheel-drive hardware. More importantly, the Maruti Suzuki Jimny, which will be a strong rival to the Thar and is likely to be unveiled at the Auto Expo, is also expected to offer both 2WD and 4WD in a five-door version.
- 2022 Maruti Suzuki Swift Crash Tests Scores 1 Star At Global Ncap
- Maruti Suzuki S Presso Gets 1 Star Under New Global Ncap Protocols